Friday, May 30, 2014

The Spirit Guides

Helllloooo Familia!
What a week! Have I mentioned recently how much I just love being a missionary and how much I LOVE these people here? It is truly amazing the amount of gratitude and love that I have in my heart right now.

 So last monday right after emailing you all, we headed to a lesson but it failed us so en camino to our next lesson we were contacting and found this younger guy and started testifying about the Plan of Salvacion and we got talking for like 3 minutes and then he just stared at us for a few seconds looking as confused as ever and asked us why out of all the people on the street we would come over and talk to him. We explained a little about what we do as missionaries and what not and then he said, I am slowing starting to tell my friends, I havent even told everyone yet so I dont know why I am telling you this, but I just found out this week that I have something in my brain and that it is most likely brain cancer. I am really starting to lose my faith on God and I dont want to but it is just so hard to see some light right now. Right as we were about to tesitfy more to him one of his buddies comes up and so we quickly wrote down his phone number, called him later that night and met with him first thing the next day. Family, he is amazing! He is 28, named Juan, and is from the Islands. We have already met with him 3 times this week and he was all excited to come to church on Sunday but Saturday night he had a super rough night with his health and wasnt able to make it to church but we met him after church and had a lesson with him where he told us that he knows that this church is true and that the Book of Mormon is true and that he has never been so hopeful and peaceful in his llife as he has been this last week. Then he asked what he has to do to be baptized! We had prayed before to know what date he will be ready to be baptized and so in the lesson we told him the date, the 24th of May. He just put his head down and started crying and asked why we picked that date. We again explained to him how the spirit really does guide us in this work and that we know he will be ready by this date. He told us that he finds out all big results on the 26th of may. I am so not doing this story justice but let me just tell you that the spirit is so so strong when we are with him. He is so ready and is so willing. It has been a funny experience as well because there have been several little things that we have done this week (like randomly calling him to see how he is doing right in the moment where he had just found out worse news about his health and was about to drop back down into"a dark place") that have truly left him speechless. We have been helping him realize that really we are not doing anything but that it is all our loving Heavenly Father and it is because He loves Juan. Anyways, this week has just been so amazing and we have been able to see God´s hand in every little detail. Last week I think I mentioned this as well with the whole experience with Maria y Jose Luis  but we are helping these people with serious real life problems. Problems that I know nothing about and when I actually take a second to think about I realize how weak I am and how so very grateful I am for the Holy Ghost in this work. There is only 1 scripture that comes to mind when being a part of this situation with Juan...

12 Yea, I know that I am anothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will bnot boast of myself, but I will cboast of my God, for in his dstrength I can do all ethings; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.
Juan is incredible and I cannot wait to see him be baptized so soon. This is the Lord´s work and I feel so incredibly blessed to be a part of it.
A few other quick things before I gotta go....
The other day we had to run to Mari´s work (the lady that I just love and adore so so much, the mom of Arelys) to help her with something and then her and her husband Paco took us to our next lesson. Well, it is HOT here and none of the cars have AC but also, their windows in there car are not working right now so you cant roll them down so we were in the car for 20 minutes just absolutely roasting to death. About 10 minutes in Paco says, "wow it really is toasty in here, I like it!" Mari quickly responded with You like it? I hate it! Then paco said, if you say you dont like it then you dont like. once again I cant do this story jsutice but Hermana King and I learned so much from this experience. Paco was dead serious when he said how it was hot but he liked it. He was dripping in sweat and every stop light opened the car door to get some air in so clearly he was suffering as well but did not let his cirumstance make him any less happy. It truly taught me a huge lesson. This man is always always happy, he is one of the happiest guys I know yet he is barely making it money wise and they are going through a lot of troubles right now. But he chooses to not let his circumstances get in the way of his happiness. He is a great example to me! 

JAJA ok so Libia is the mom of Lady our recent convert and we eat with them very tuesday. They are just like family and we love them so much and have so much fun togther. From first hand experience, they know that I am terrified of any type of bugs, snakes, mice, etc. So the other morning libia was making food and cut off this root of a beet and realized that it looked just like a nasty rats tail so she saved it to scare me with it the next day at lunch! JAJA! And it so worked! jajaj I seriously about died. It is so so funny!
Ok well I gotta run! I love you all so much! Thank you for everything!
Les quiero,
Hermana Heims

No comments:

Post a Comment